Sunday, October 30, 2011

Shrimp and Cheese Grits

I have been wanting shrimp and grits for awhile. I don't have much experience with them, eating or making.  For some reason, the creaming grits and tasty shrimp have stayed on my mind, much like a nagging child that wants to do go somewhere when you are already settled in for the night.

So I began to search.  I looked through cookbooks.  And I looked on the Internet.  But not one of them matched my vision.  I wanted white grits, cheese, shrimp, some heat but not much, and I wanted bacon.  Because (say it with me), 'everything is better with bacon!'.

So what do you do?  Buy everything that you think you might need and get started!  Which is what I did.

Cheesy Grits with Shrimp


Grits
3/4 cup uncooked grits
2 1/2 cups  chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Bring broth, cream and milk to a boil.  Add grits.  Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes (according to package directions), stirring occasionally.  When starting to get creamy, add remaining ingredients and keep on low heat.  Taste and add butter, salt or more cayenne to taste.

Shrimp


4 strips bacon, reserve drippings and crumble
1/2 medium size onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced finely
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (more or less to your taste)
1 1/2 pounds of shrimp (fresh or frozen)



Fry bacon.  Remove from pan and crumble.
Add a small amount of olive oil to bacon drippings.
Add diced onions.  When onions are soft, add garlic.
Give that a minute or so then add the tomatoes, shrimp, Old Bay, butter and lemon juice.
Cook until shrimp are done.

If you are using frozen shrimp, thaw and dry before adding to pan.  Allow for extra liquid.






Charlie said this is one of the best things he's ever eaten.  He absolutely loved it.  And me, well let's just say, I will be making this again and again.  The grits are so creamy and cheesy with a little kick.  The shrimp and sauce are so tasty that you can't wait for that next bite.  Did I say they were good?


Live, Laugh, Love.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment