Sunday, January 16, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

A long, long time ago I had a recipe for the absolute best baked potato soup.  It was written on a piece of notebook paper.  Along the years and several moves that piece of paper, along with others I'm sure has disappeared.  One reason why I love the Internet.  I store everything on the net, I can't lose that!

Back to the soup.  The only thing I remember is that it had baked potatoes, Campbell's cheddar cheese soup and some other can of Campbell's soup.  I searched the Internet and couldn't find anything that I though was close, darn it the search goes on.

Yesterday, I wasn't feeling my best.  It's a bitch getting older but it's better than the alternative.  So I went into the kitchen and made up my own recipe for the soup I've been craving.  Now mind you, I'm great at following recipes.  I can copy any craft or decorating idea.  I'm a great apprentice.  So this time, I step up and do it myself.

Thank goodness I had a stocked pantry and fridge. Potatoes, Velveeta, a little shredded cheddar cheese, milk, green onions, sour cream, bacon, flour and butter. 

I was guessing so your amounts might vary from mine.  I guess I need to get better a writing things down as I go along.  But don't look for that to happen anytime soon, I'm not that organized.  Any volunteers to be my note taker?  Anyone? Anyone?

Bake the potatoes and cube.  I used 3 russets.  Make a rue with the butter and flour.  Equal parts of fat and flour. Melt the butter then slowly add the flour.  Don't leave it, keep stirring.  I used 1/4 cup of each.

Add the milk (3 cups for me).  Simmer until it starts to thicken.  Add Velveeta and cheddar cheese until melted.  Stir in sour cream, cubed potatoes and crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper.

Garnish with green onions or scallions, your choice of what you call them.  Just use them and use them often.
This is so good.  It warmed me to the bottom of my soul.  And satisfied my love of potatoes and cheese.  I'm so glad I tried this on my own.

More tailgate food.  More Cheese!!

I had some mozzarella that I planned on using on pizza but fried cheese called to me.  And think I must have eaten 4 or 5 of them.

Dipped in jarred marina sauce, this snack was to die for.  Just dip in egg wash and a mix of panko and regular bread crumbs.  Yum, yum.

Live, Laugh, Love,
Karen and Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment