Thursday, December 9, 2010

Unexpected Surprise - Oxtails

I'm not a big grocery shopper as I have said before.  Charlie usually gets this chore.  I also get distracted easily, buy things that aren't on the list and end up with a cart full of stuff.

The other day when I had no choice but to stop at the store, I noticed a couple looking at the oxtails in the meat department.  I've always heard that oxtails are delicious and seen them cooked on Food Network but never attempted cooking them because they are so expensive.  The per pound cost is $4.78 so that puts it out of our budget.

As I continued through the store, the oxtails stayed on my mind.  I kept wondering if they really are as good as people said.  We could try them once and if they are good, we can make them something that we did for special occassions.  Can you see how I am trying to justify spending the money?

I saw the couple in the deli section and asked the woman if she would tell me how to cook them.  Luckily she was nice and didn't mind having her shopping interrupted by someone who was typing  every word into a phone.  I told you, I'm easily distracted and didn't want to forget.  She talked and I typed.

This kind woman assured me that they are delicious and if I cooked them low and slow, I would love them.  She was right. 

The only thing I didn't get was her name.  I would love to thank her for sharing the recipe with me.

Oxtails

2 1/2 pounds of Oxtails
Water
Salt and Pepper
1 package onion soup mix
1 package frozen soup mix (carrots, okra, onions, etc)
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
Patience - remember - low and slow

Season the oxtails with salt and pepper.  Put them in a dutch oven and cover with water.  Bring the water to boiling then turn it down to a slow simmer.  Leave them alone for at least 2 hours.  You are looking for fork tender.  Don't be alarmed if they have to cook longer.  Just walk away.  They won't over cook.

When you are satisfied that they are fork tender, drain the water.  Add the onion soup mix and cover with fresh water.  Simmer for about 30 minutes.

Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Simmer for another 20 minutes.

At the end of this long wait you get the most scruptious, flavorful meat you have ever tasted.  It's a Sunday pot roast, only better.  I didn't expected it to be so much like soup so Charlie made mashed potatoes to go with it.  Even so, it was the perfect combination.

This is Charlie's plate.  He ate his like a roast.


This is my bowl.  I pulled the meat off the bone and at it like soup, sort of.  It was a very thick, wonderful soup.

As we ate, we kept coming up with different sides that would go with the oxtails.  But we never thought about changing the oxtail recipe.  It is just too good!

Thank you kind grocery store shopper.  I will always remember the nervous look on your face when I asked if I could bother you and how gracious you were to share your recipe with us.

Live, Laugh, Love  - and be kind to strangers in the grocery store
Karen


2 comments:

  1. braising down oxtails just releases so much rich thick goodness. There one of my favorite off cuts of beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delectable. Long and slow cooking always brings the best result. It looks sooo good.

    ReplyDelete