Monday, December 27, 2010

Apple Pie Puffs

I am lost to the power of suggestion.  If I see it on a commercial, I usually can't get it off of my mind.  As we were walking through the frozen food section of the grocery store yesterday, Charlie noticed that the packaging on Mrs. Smith's pies had changed.  I noticed that there was an Apple Spice Pie that looks so delicious that I had to have it.

Knowing full well that I would not be able to eat more than a bite and Charlie is trying to cut back on his sugar, I walked away from it.  But darn, my mind wouldn't walk away from it.

As we sat and watch the Houston Texans figure out another way to lose a football game, I decided I would make my own Apple Spice Pie.

I had puff pastry, No Sugar Added Apple Pie filling, Raisins, splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and butter.

Remember that I am winging this so of course, I didn't write down any measurements.  But don't you think that something like this is a matter of personal taste?  I like more cinnamon, Charlie likes a little more sweetener.  We meet in the middle and isn't that the way it is supposed to be?

The No Sugar Added Apple Pie filling already had some splenda and spices in it but it was a bit bland so I jazzed it up with a little more splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.  Mix it up, added the raisins and got the taste approval from Charlie. Then we moved on to the pastry.

I then, rolled out the puff pastry to a piece large enough to get 12 squares that were about 3" x 3".  You want them to fit in the muffin pan without too much left hanging on the side.

Put the pastry in the muffin pan, fill with the apple mix, dot the top with a small pat of butter.  And voila, Apple Pie Puffs.

Bake them at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until they are browned all around and the filling is set.  Ok, I was watching Peyton Manning win another game and actually run with the football so I didn't pay alot of attention to how long they were in the oven.  When the kitchen was filled with a wonderful apple pie smell, I went and checked them.


We made a little whipped cream for the top and wow, I bet they could give Mrs. Smith a run for the money.

The pictures don't really tell the story of how good they are.  And remember, the filling is sugar free.  That makes me smile even bigger.

Live, Laugh, Love.
Karen and Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment