Saturday, January 1, 2011

Meatloaf

Meatloaf

Everyone has their favorite version of Meatloaf.  I have come across dozens recently and filed away a few as definite make agains and others I just tossed.  Charlie and I came up with this one by taking the best of some and because they are all basically the same except for ketchup usage, I think this is one of the best.

Meatloaf

2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground sausage, mild seasoning
1 egg
1 - 1 ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper
dash Worcester
dash Tabasco
olive oil
½ cup carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped


Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil.  
Mix ground beef and sausage in a large bowl.  Add sauteed veggies.  Combine.  
Add egg and a portion of the panko.  Mix and continue to add more panko until the mixture holds together.
Form a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

It is a very festive presentation with the colors from the carrots, celery and onion but mostly it is just plain good.  We had it with brown gravy that night.  The best thing though came the next day.

I came home for lunch and thought that I would have a slice on a sandwich.  Then I remembered seeing an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives that went to a place where they grilled their meatloaf for sandwiches.  So of course, I through a piece in a pan with a little bit of olive oil and boy, oh boy.  It is really something that you have to try.  That little bit of crusty goodness on the outside of the meatloaf added so much to something that was already good.

As soon as Charlie got home I told him that he had to try it.  He was as amazed as I was.  You should really try it too, next time you happen to have some leftover meatloaf.


Happy New Year to All!

Karen and Charlie



No comments:

Post a Comment