Sunday, November 28, 2010

Have you ever?

Yes, I'm forgetful.  I get pre-occupied or maybe even misdirected. But I promised myself that I would give you the good, the bad and the ugly.  This will count as two of them...very bad and really ugly.

Last night Charlie wanted fried mushrooms.  We decided to just have snack food for dinner.  In the fridge, we had portobello mushroom caps that we intended to fry with an egg/bread crumb dip. He also wanted french fries.  I'm guessing he was all turkey-ied out and wanted something that was completely un-Thanksgiving. 

However, I had a sweet potato and wasn't going to let it go to waste.  We talked about it and decided to try Giada potato chips.  Charlie sliced the sweet potato and I fried the mushrooms.  We also sliced a few russets to throw in the deep fryer.  I love me some homemade chips.

The mandolin didn't cooperate well and cut evenly. So there's the ugly.  I did what the recipe called for by tossing them in olive oil then I put them in the oven.

When they were done, we both tasted.  Neither one of us really liked them.  Can't tell you why but they just didn't have it.  So we continued with the mushrooms, russets and a small salad but we left the tray of sweet potatoes in the oven to save room on the counter top.  I did remember to turn the oven off.

Life goes on.  The night ends and we go to bed.  I wake up with visions of a Turkey Potpie in my mind.  After my coffee, I go for it.  Prep everything, preheat the oven and start cooking.  Then it happens.

I smell something.  I can't figure out what it is.  I check all the burners.  I check the bottom of the pans.  The smell is awful.  Then something slaps my on the side of the head.  I finally look in the oven and found those sweet potato slices.  If we didn't like them last night, we certainly wouldn't like them now.

I had to laugh about it.  I actually laughed out loud.  Have you been so absent minded like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment