Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Favorite from My Past

When I was a teenager, Pizza Hut was a big hangout after church on Sunday nights.  Even though most of us had spent the entire day together, we all headed over to Pizza Hut to get something to eat and just continue the day.  I can remember the laughter, the gossip and all the friendships that were formed in the dimly lit room and over the best pizza and pasta.

As I write this, I think of some specific instances and they bring such a smile to my face.  And a few even make me laugh out loud.  Luckily I can still call most of the people that I have these great memories with friends either through facebook or a few that have stuck with me through the years.  I am fortune that they are all well grounded, Christian people that care about their fellow man.

What brought on all these memories you ask?  I found a recipe in 'America's Most Wanted Recipes' for Pizza Hut Cavatini and of course, I had to try it.  I made an attempt a year or so again and while it was close, this one is spot on to what I remember.

I didn't have enough cheese to cover the top but it was still super delicious.  Like pizza without the bread.  The only problem I have with this recipe is....it makes too much.  So some of my co-irkers get a treat.

Charlie and I did manage to put a big dent in it though. 

Pizza Hut Cavatini
Adapted from America's Most Wanted Recipes

1/2 stick butter
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound pasta (wheels, shells, spirals)
16 oz jar of pasta sauce
8 oz cooked ground beef
8 oz cooked italian sausage
8 oz pepperoni, sliced
2 cups shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter.  Saute onion and green pepper along with garlic powder.
While that's happening, Cook pasta according to package directions.
Remove onion and green pepper.  In the same pan, heat pasta sauce, ground beef and italian sausage.
Spray a 4-quart casserole or several small ones.
The recipe calls for two layers.  I just made one.
Layer ingredients starting with pasta, then vegetables, pepperoni, sauce.  Then add another layer or cover the top with cheese.

Put in oven until it is bubbly and the cheese is browned.



It's some good stuff.  Notice the new gas range making an appearance in the picture.  I love it, love it, love it!

The interview was ok.  Not sure it will turn into anything.   We'll see.
And the weather will be in the 70s for the weekend.  I am so excited.

Live, Laugh, Love...............have a wonderful day!

Celebrate Life!!!

Karen

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I used to love Pizza Hut's Cavatini all those years ago. When I started reading I thought "yes! she's making cavatini" then sure enough that's what you made! I can't wait to try it. I'll have to cut the recipe in half or freeze the leftovers! I am so jealous of the gas range...not many homes in Florida have gas!

    ReplyDelete