Sunday, January 8, 2012

Texans Win!

What a day we had yesterday.


The puppy dogs got groomed.  And aren't they beautiful now.  The best thing is...they smell good too.  Our groomer is the best and we are grateful to have found her.  Especially since there is no way I could do that myself.  They would look like little lost homeless dogs with hair all different lengths. And the moment they got upset during a bath, well let's just repeat that we are glad we have Laura.

Next, the car got serviced, washed and waxed.
Luckily that's not my job either.  Charlie loves his car and he gets to take care of it.  And he does, just like it's a girlfriend of something!

The big event happened in the afternoon.  THE TEXANS WON!  It was a great game. They played their hearts out and I am looking forward to the game against the Ravens next week.

The food we cooked was awesome.  We ate during the Texans' game and the Saints' game.  Everyone loved every dish.  This is what I loved:
A Battle Red Martini. OK, I did take the easy way out and it is just cranberry juice and vodka but it worked.  I'm not sure of a dark blue drink but if you know of one, please send it to me.

Here is some of the great food that we made. And ate and ate.  It's amazing when you aren't making a plate and just munching on small bites, how much you can put away.


Bacon-Sour Cream Dip

I wanted something different than onion dip so I found this on cooks.com.  It's pretty easy and was very good.

3/4 lb bacon (I used 1/2 - 3/4 cup bacon bits)
2 green onions, minced
Dash of Tabasco
1 cup sour cream
Dash of garlic salt

Mix everything together and add some extra green onions on top.  Serve with chips.

Taco Dip
From plainchicken.com

This was so simple and so good.

Brown 1/2 lb hamburger meat
Add 1/2 onion, diced (I added this one)
Stir in 1 can of refried beans and 1 packet of taco seasoning.

Steph at plain chicken says to use a 9" x 13" dish but I used an 8" x 8" and it worked out fine.
Spread the hamburger mixture and top with 1 cup sour cream then 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350.
I topped with green onions and jalapenos.

This was so good that some one commented that they would just load it onto a flour tortilla instead of having a bunch of chips!

Buffalo Chicken Wings

This one came from plainchicken.com too.  She has some really good stuff there.

It's pretty simple.  Marinate the wings in hot sauce then bake. Toss them in a sauce made of butter and more hot sauce.  I added some cayenne pepper to the wings before I baked them.  Not a lot though.  I threw them in a crock pot to keep them warm and strangely enough....everyone wanted ranch to dip them in.

Another wing picture.  I also made deviled eggs.  You won't see a picture because I sat the tray on the table and went to get my camera.  The problem was I didn't say anything about them being off limits until I took a picture.

When I came back the plate was not worthy of a photograph and the saying of the afternoon became 'has she taken a picture yet?'  Followed by a lot of laughter.



Deviled Eggs


Boil eggs, peel and slice in half.
Remove yolks and place in bowl large enough for mixing all ingredients.
I never measure because you don't know what size eggs or how many, etc.
You can eye it and always start on the short side.  As you know, you can always add more.
Add mayonnaise, garlic salt, vinegar, sweet relish, onion powder, salt and pepper along with a dash of Worcestershire sauce.  Sometimes I add onions.
Put the mixture in a baggie.  Snip a small hole in one corner and pipe the mixture into the egg whites.  Top with a very small amount of relish and sprinkle with paprika.

Then there were these.  The most awesome thing and we had to make more.  Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders
from thepioneerwoman.com.  She is so awesome that I can't even begin to tell you.  Wonderful, different and easy recipes.  YUM!!!

Everybody wanted more than one so luckily we had everything we needed to make more.

And did I say easy.  Hamburger, onions, whiskey, BBQ sauce, jalapenos, butter, salt, pepper and rolls.  We used regular dinner rolls from Sam's.


There is so much flavor in these.

Take a pattie.  Then spoon on some sauce. Put the top on and then be prepared to take yourself to another place.

Wow.....I had one for breakfast this morning.

And it was as good as I remembered.

This was dessert.  Football cupcakes from Sam's.  Don't judge...they were good too!








I'm sorry for being so long winded but it was a long day!  And we had so much fun.  But guess what - we get to do it again next weekend.  I can't wait.

Live, Laugh, Love,
Karen and Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment