Saturday, January 14, 2012

French Onion Soup and Roast Beef Sandwiches

I have been waiting to make French Onion Soup for about 2 months now.  Drooling over every recipe I looked at.  For some silly  reason I thought it would difficult but it truly wasn't.  And it was so good.

Charlie gave me these cute little crocks just because he thought I would like them.  He was right.  He's always right and so thoughtful.  I am so lucky!  Oh, back to the soup...

After reading so many recipes, I just ventured out on my own and started putting it together.  The basic ingredients are butter, onions, broth, wine, bread and cheese.  Every recipe was just different enough but they all included these.  I don't really understand though is some used chicken broth, some used beef and they have two distinctly different flavors.  And the same with the wine.  Some used red and some white.

So here's what I ended up with:

French Onion Soup


1 stick butter
5 large onions, sliced very thinly
1 cup red wine
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups beef broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
french bread, sliced 1/2" - 3/4"
Gouda cheese slices

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt butter in dutch oven.  Add onions.  Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  
Cover and place in oven for 1 hour, stirring once.  (I got this cooking method from The Pioneer Woman)
Remove from oven and add wine.  
Turn on medium heat and add broth, garlic, worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic powder and pepper.  Cook for 10 minutes and taste for salt and pepper.  
Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
Toast french bread under broiler, flipping once.
Ladle soup in crocks or bowls.
Place toast piece on top.
Top with 1 piece of gouda cheese.
Place in broiler until cheese is melty and yummy.



The finished product was so tasty.  We just did some deli roast beef and swiss cheese into a pressed sandwich.  Oh so nice on a cool night.

I dip my sandwich into my soup.  Are you a dipper or do you eat them separately?

Live, Laugh, Love,

Karen and Charlie




No comments:

Post a Comment