Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Osso Buco

Let me start by saying that we aren't extravagant people.  I look for bargains and even sometimes use coupons.  This time, went went overboard and it was so worth it.  Have you ever paid $19.95 a pound for meat?  That what we did when we bought veal shanks and I'll tell you why.

Charlie and I have made a deal that if we see an ingredient in a magazine or on a cooking show twice in a short amount of time, well, it's a sign and we need to try it.  We watched Anne Burrell cook it on 'Secrets of a Restaurant Chef' then Charlie saw it on Giada's Food Network Site.  We HAD to give it a go.

Did you know you can't buy veal shanks at just any ol' store?  Nope, had to drive for 30 minutes to get to Central Market to buy it.  That was an adventure in itself.  I'd never been there and it is awesome!  The sign read '117 different organic fruits and vegetables to choose from today'.  Apparently they change the number as their selection changes.  The meat counter was at least 50' long as was the seafood counter.  Plus, I can't tell you how many varieties of fresh baked bread they had.  I wish I had taken my camera so I could share it with you.

Now on to the good stuff.  Just enjoy the pictures.  I'll add the recipe later.  But trust me, this is the best stuff you have ever eaten.


This is what $57.50 of veal looks like.
Seared to perfection.

Then you make a sauce with tomato paste, chicken stock, celery, onions, white wine.  We took what we liked from both recipes and it was so tasty! 
Next you nestle the veal shanks, all nice and cozy, into the sauce.  Throw it in the oven for 2 1/2 hours and this is what you get to eat.
No knife required.  It is so good.

Do you have an indulgence?  Something that you splurge on?

Live, Laugh, Love!

Karen and Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment