Monday, November 1, 2010

Cabbage 'Un'-Rolled

Sometimes days are so hard.  I guess I just get so settled in over the weekend and then boom, back to work.  After working 10 hours or so, sometimes I just don't want to cook. 
I wanted something that I didn't have to think about.  This is really a hard sale because I keep telling him that we can cook faster than he can go pick up take out.  Every time I say that it has been a rough day, he will suggest just picking something up and I say no, no, it doesn't take any time at all to cook.  And generally it doesn't.  Plus it always tastes better and is better for our waist line and wallets.

We came across a recipe years ago for unstuffed peppers.  It was good but not something that we wanted to add to our regular rotation of recipes.  Then one day, Charlie wanted cabbage rolls.  Do you know how much work goes into cabbage rolls?  Have I told you that he is Pennsylvania Dutch?  Sorry, not happening here.  Then I remember this recipe and thought, dang we can do that with cabbage.

Here's how it goes:

Unstuffed Cabbage

Prep time:  about 5 minutes
                 no way it's any longer
Cook time:  30 minutes

What you need:
1/2 - 1 head green cabbage, cut into pieces
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, (juice and all)
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (26 oz jar) pasta sauce (garlic & onion is best)
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup water
1 cup instant rice
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper

I use a wok because it's the largest pan type thing I have.  Use whatever you have but it makes quite alot.

Here's what you do:

Brown and crumble ground beef. Season with salt and pepper.
Drain if you didn't use the lean stuff and it makes alot of grease.
Add everything else. You want enough water to create steam to cook the rice and cabbage.  You can eyeball. 
Bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat.
Cook for 20 minutes or so over medium heat or until cabbage is nice and tender and rice is done.

Warning...do not eat this right away.  Your tongue and taste buds can thank me later.  This is what you are rewarded with for your patience.

Taste for seasoning.  You will need to add some salt and pepper.  Actually, I have salt in my veins that constantly has to be replaced.  I salt everything.  Usually twice.

Live, Laugh, Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment