Sunday, September 26, 2010

Best Brownie Fudge Cake Thing

Difficulty - Easy
Prep Time - 20 minutes
Cook Time - 20 minutes

The recipe came from The Pioneerwoman.com and the cake itself looks really cook.  However, there was so much going on.  I was making about 5 different dishes at once, Crystal was here watching Gracie, Charlie was having dinner, the dogs were going crazy because Gracie was here.  It was insane around the house and I missed an ingredient in the cake.  But I didn't know it. 

I took the cake to work for the Texans vs Cowboys pot luck.  And told everybody to let me know how they liked it.  I was so proud.  The guys kept calling it brownies while a few called it fudge.  I kept telling them it was cake but when you look at it, there was no cake texture at all.

I grabbed a couple of pieces for Charlie and James and they said the same thing.  More like brownies or fudge and it didn't look anything like the recipe picture.  While I was comparing the picture to the real thing, I reread the recipe and low and behold, I left out the boiling water.  Damn, I found a good thing through a mistake but now...I have to make it again to see how good the original one is.

Here's what you need:

For the brownie fudge cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 heaping tablespoons cocoa
2 sticks butter
1/2 cusp buttermilk
2 whole beaten eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

What you do:
Combine flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl.
Melt butter in a saucepan.
Add coca to the butter and stir together.
This is where you can add 1 cup boiling water if you want a cakier texture.
Allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds and turn off the heat.
Pour into flour mixture and stir to cool.
Mix the buttermilk, beaten eggs, baking soda and vanilla.
Stir into the flour, butter, chocolate.
Pour into a lightly greased sheet pan.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

For the frosting:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 3/4 sticks of butter
4 heaping tablespoons coca
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound (minus 1/2 cup) powdered sugar

And now for the sweetness:
Do this while the cake is baking.  You want to pour it onto a warm cake.
Chop the pecan.
Melt the butter (use the same saucepan as for the cake)
Add cocoa and stir.
Take saucepan off the heat and add the milk, vanilla and powdered sugar.
You might not need all of the powdered sugar that the recipe calls for. 
Add about a cup at a time and stir until you get a consistency that you like.
Add pecans and stir.
Pour over warm cake.
Cut into squares.

Make them both and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment